"There is no sight on earth more appealing than the sight of a woman making dinner for someone she loves."
Thomas Wolfe

Food is Love © 2007-2010 | All Rights Reserved |
Please Ask First!
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Peach Streusel Cake - In The Bag: Fruit and Nuts

>> Saturday, October 4, 2008



Last Friday, I spent 12 hours in the kitchen to cook rendang and semur tahu kentang (potato and tofu cooked in sweet soy sauce) for PPI Bremen (Indonesian Student Union in Bremen) and sambel goreng tahu (tofu cooked in spicy coconut milk) for my beloved. I cooked sambel goreng tahu and semur tahu kentang while cooking rendang. As you may have known that to make an authentic rendang, you have to cook it in a long period in order to get a very nice dark brown (or black) color. My mom, who's originally from West Sumatra, always cooked it for 3 days (not straight 72 hours tho'). I'll write more about rendang in another post.

While cooking rendang, I kept thinking about making dessert, especially when I knew that nobody make it. The problem was, October 3rd is a holiday in Germany, means all the supermarket are close. I didn't have enough ingredients to make my dream cake. But then, just right after midnight, I remembered that my dear friend, Sheila, has made some cake that looks so yummy. Though the recipe calls for plum and I had only peach in my kitchen, I decided to make it no matter what. Someone (I mean me) had to make dessert, no?



When I read the recipe and found out that it used both fruit and nut, all I could think was, this is perfect for In The Bag September edition with Fruit and Nuts as the theme. Scott of Real Epicurean, the host of ITB, has informed me about it through email couple weeks ago. Hours later, my kitchen smelled both rendang and cinnamon. Yup, I sprinkled cinnamon powder on the cake.

Peach is considered as autumn fruit andit is classified with the almond in the subgenus Amygdalus within the genus Prunus, distinguished from the other subgenera by the corrugated seed shell (Wikipedia). So, I think peach and almond in this cake are suitable with the theme.

The cake was a bit burning in some part since I forgot to reduce the temperature. I used mini oven (since the big one is still broken), and according to my experience, I have to reduce around 10°C from the original recipe. But it was ok, everybody liked it. The taste was just perfect. Peach, almond and cinnamon were a good combination.

Thanks Sheila for the recipe.



Peach Streusel Cake
Recipe from Chefkoch.de, modified by Sheila and re-modified by me

Ingredients:
1 can of peach (ca. 825 gram), drained the water, sliced
150 gr butter (room temp)
150 g granulated sugar
3 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla sugar
2 tsp baking powder
175 gr all-purpose-flour
100 gr ground almond
Cinnamon powder



Method:
1. Melt butter, sugar and vanilla sugar. Set aside.
2. Slightly beat egg yolk, flour and ground almond.
3. Fold in butter. Whisk until the dry ingredients are moistened and resembled large bread crumbs.
4. Greased Ø22cm spring form, line with parchment paper. Pour ¾ streusel into the pan, press evenly with the spoon.
5. Arrange peach tightly on the batter. Top with the rest of streusel.
6. Bake in a preheated oven of 180°C for 45-50 minutes or until set.

9 comments:

Sheila October 5, 2008 at 3:06 AM  

Sefaaa...penampakan cake-nya yummy banget. Cake-nya keliatan lebih tebel ya. Gue gak punya loyang 22cm :(. Ntar coba gue cari di toko aahh.
Btw, mini oven itu emang gampang panas ya. Tapi gak keliatan agak gosong kok, Fa. Yang penting kan rasanya enak, ya gak ya gak?

sefa firdaus October 5, 2008 at 10:32 AM  

makasih Sheil, berkat resep elo nih say :)
he-eh jadi tebel, tp sptnya memang harus pake loyang yg agak gedean deh Sheil, biar tipis... yg punya elo tuh, cantik pisan :)
iya.. mini oven emang cepet panas.. gue lupa nurunin suhunya.. yg gosong gak keliatan krn gak gue potret say, hihihihi

Dita October 5, 2008 at 11:33 AM  

hmmm....cantik2 fotonya. hehehe...blun bikin pr yg ini ;). Mau rendangnya dunk Fa :)

sefa firdaus October 5, 2008 at 9:39 PM  

makasih Dit ;)
ini gue ikutan juga kebetulan Dit, tadinya udah mikir gak mau ikutan... abis kebanyakan event bikin pusing :d

rendang udah tandas Dit, gue bikinnya pedes.. eh malah pada doyan :D

Kitchen Flavours October 6, 2008 at 12:37 PM  

Cooking for 12 hours. Soon you will b making record if cook for so long. Cake looks awesome. i love the color.

Lore October 7, 2008 at 3:02 PM  

I'm so glad you had the idea of replacing plums with peaches (they're my favourite betweem the two!) and made this dessert. The colour is so vibrant, love that orange and I hope another DMBLGIT will come your way because these pics look heavenly!

Scott at Real Epicurean October 11, 2008 at 7:20 PM  

It's a long time since I had a cake with peach in it - no idea why. I might try this one soon!

Judith October 13, 2008 at 8:41 AM  

Aku justru suka yang rada gosong Sef,jadi lebih Knusprig he hee ..

Kalo diganti buah2an lainnya enak kan Sef? soale aku nggak gitu doyang buah peach yang dimasak. Danke ..

sefa firdaus October 17, 2008 at 12:17 AM  

@Kitchen Flavours: hahaha... you have to come to my village, we can cook one dish for more than 12 hours :D

@Lore: I'm glad too that you like it Lore. Peach is one of my fav fruit too :)

@Scott at Real Epicurean: Then, you have to try this one, Scott. Thanks for hosting ITB.

@Judith: iya ya Mbak, itu yg gosong.. aku yg ngabisin... enaaakkkkkk :d
buahnya bisa diganti Mbak, resep aslinya sih pake plum

“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”Virginia Woolf

Recent Post

Oatmeal Banana Almond Cookies - 2nd Annual O Foods Contest for Ovarian Cancer Awareness MonthSate PadangThe Beauty of Red and White
Summer DrinkCherry BlossomsClick May 2009: Cookies
Ayam Bumbu Paniki (Chicken ala Paniki) Judging for Click April 2009 - Spring/AutumnBinte Biluhuta

Category

Travel Warning

Indonesia is dangerously beautiful!

Indonesia is not only Bali. We have lots of beautiful places within the 5 biggest islands and thousands of small islands. Please click on the banner above for more information about Indonesian tourisms. And don't forget to explore the beauty of West Sumatra.

  Designed by Ourblogtemplates.com © 2008 | Modified by Sefa Firdaus © 2007-2015

Back to TOP